Thursday, April 8, 2010

Generation Gaps and Value System – Who’s the Loser!

Ah! How I wish my parents / in-laws/ relatives / peers understand what I am doing!

Why are they not supporting me in whatever I want to do? They only like to play devils advocate to everything Why are they so cautious / conservative in their thinking? Such a generation gap, and I think they are losers, and also want me to be another one.

A Grandfather, Father and a Grandson is the perfect example of perspectives of thoughts on each other. This can be summed up in a difference of about five to seven decades. The Grandfather thinks that his son is not taking enough responsibilities in comparison to his age, while he would shield his grandson from taking responsibilities, while the father has the same opinions of his son. Forget this, in fact people swear that they experience a generation gap with their brother / sister just five years younger.

With value system changing at a rapid pace, people are trying to cope up with emerging changes, and hence do not give any credence to experience.

There is a spirit of “I know it all” and “Been there done that” across generations, perfect winner thoughts. This gives rise to a perfect atmosphere where elders feel, “I don’t get the required respect for my stature, experience and advice that I give.” The youngsters feel that I am not being taken seriously for my talent and ability to cope up in changed circumstances.

Perennial feeling across generations, but does this have a solution!

Who’s the Loser, You or the System!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, we do have a solution and it's a simple one. Do not expect of others what you would do and, more importantly, do not expect of others what you couldn't or wouldn't do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I completely agree with the post, it is very easy to say- we should understand. For doing so, people should first be able to accept that they can be wrong, which is at the cost of ego. This is what usually brings in any kind of disagreement, be it within a generation, or even with those having the generation gap. The easiest way of reducing the gap is to just listen, with an open mind.

    ReplyDelete